Saturday, May 31, 2014

May Day aka Labor Day

May first is the European equivalent of Labor Day and celebrates the law that was passed in 1919 for an 8 hour work day. I sure wish the 8 hour work day applied to Kellens job😉 

I have spent past Labor days at the beach, lake, or at the first college football game if the season. Usually enjoying sunshine, warm weather, and good food. Today was quite different. My mom, Maddie, and I had a lazy morning after staying up way too late watching our new addiction- Parenthood. Finally, we headed out into the rain at about 2pm. Our destination was about 20 minutes outside of Brussles and was the site of the Battle of Waterloo. 

The Battle of Waterloo took place in 1815  between the French with Napeolean as their leader and the "allies" which consisted of England, Belgium, Peursia. The "allies" were victorious and Napolean was sent into exile changing the course of European History and Politicas forever!

There is a small museum and two movies you can watch to learn about what happened there almost 200 years ago.
But the highlight was the massive hill that was built as a monument for this battle.
After climbing 260 steps we made it to the top! Where we were able to look out over the beautiful surrounding countryside.
We ate a picnic lunch next to the monument under a huge tree which protected us from the drizzling rain. 

Cold, rainy, weather, learning about history may not be how I picture a perfect Labor Day, but I would not trade today for anything! (Well except for having Kelen with us) I loving having my mom here to explore Belgium. And it melts my heart how sweet she is with my little girl! 
Happy May Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment